World Food Day is annually held on October 16. It is utilized to raise public awareness regarding the world's hungry and malnourished people. Today is also used to encourage people to take action and get involved in trying to combat hunger. Over 150 countries take part each year.
I am going to use today to begin working with my children on taking a stand and trying to combat hunger. Every little bit helps. Even if we help one person that is one less person that is hungry. So if everyone just helps one person think of all the people that would have at least one more meal. When was the last time you didn't know where your next meal was coming from? Never? Well then was the last time you were hungry?
Food Banks all over are running out of food and having to tell people they can not help them. Even one bag or box of can goods could help them feed just one or two people. Join the fight and see what you can do to help.
Listed below are some activities and ideas for you and your children.
- Talk with your kids about world hunger and consider hosting a food drive for a local food bank in your community.
- Make sandwiches and take to well know areas frequented by homeless people. You and your children could hand them out.
- Make a place mat by cutting out pictures of food from magazines.
- Make noodle necklaces.
- Make a snack or dish from a different culture.
- Start an indoor garden.
- Go through your pantry and collect can goods not being used or you could do without and take to your local food bank.
Locate your local food bank: Click Here!
World Food Day Sites:
World Food Day USA
FAO- World Food Day Site
Earth Box- World Food Day
This Crazy Life is mine and I love it!